Shopping cart abandonment doesn’t happen only to online retailers. Customers can — and do — walk out of bricks-and-mortar stores without buying anything if the checkout lines are unreasonably long.
To combat this, traditional retailers like Nordstrom and J.C. Penney have announced “line busting initiatives,” including arming salespeople with smartphones and tablets so they can accept credit card payments anywhere in their stores — no cash register or checkout counter required.
Card readers work with many mobile devices, so merchants of all sizes can benefit from them. If you aren’t yet accepting mobile payments, it may be time to consider doing so.
Here are a few ways that
GoPayment can speed up the checkout process in your store while building your business and saving you money.
- Ring up more sales. As the line at your register starts to grow, other employees trained as cashiers can use tablets or smartphones to process transactions right from the sales floor. This keeps lines short and prevents impatient customers from leaving the store without making a purchase.
- Access inventory online. Does your small business sell goods on its website, including items that aren’t available in your bricks-and-mortar store? Using a mobile device, you can access your online inventory to find the product a customer’s seeks, then use GoPayment to swipe the charge, and have the item shipped to your store or directly to the customer.
- Save paper. By implementing paperless (email) receipts for all credit card transactions, you can save on receipt paper. This doesn’t just cut your expenses on supplies, it reduces wait times for printouts and changing paper rolls and reduces waste, too.
- Offer perks. Beyond paperless receipts, mobile-payment systems let you offer customers other electronic perks, such as loyalty cards, email coupons, and special deals. You could also add a note to your receipts that encourages customers to “like” or follow your business on social media sites, building your marketing efforts with minimal effort.
- Process transactions safely. GoPayment’s mobile-payment solution offers built-in security features, including encryption. Your customers’ data will be safe without the need for additional software, enhancing your company’s reputation.
By deploying a mobile-payment system in your retail shop, you can shorten checkout lines and operate more efficiently while receiving some instant business benefits, too.