When you start a business, or even just apply for a bank loan or a mortgage, you need to gather various documents, records, and information before you can begin — let alone complete — the process. Dealing with all the paperwork can be a real hassle.
Applying for a GoPayment merchant account is nothing like that. In fact, there’s no paper involved! Here’s a short list of everything you need to sign up:
- Smartphone or tablet computer — This is the device you’ll use to process credit card payments.
- Wi-Fi connection or 3G (or better) cellular service — Secure transactions can pass over either of these networks.
- GoPayment app — Download this free app onto your smartphone or tablet from the Google Play Store (for Android devices) or the Apple App Store (for iOS devices).
- Email address — Any address, even one from a free email account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.), will suffice. Your email address serves as your username when logging into your GoPayment account.
- Password — When you set up a GoPayment account, your password must contain at least seven characters, including one number and one capital letter.
- Physical and/or business address — GoPayment needs to know where to send your free credit card reader, which plugs into the USB port of your mobile device so that you can swipe customer credit cards.
- The name you want on your GoPayment electronic receipts — This can be your name or the name of your business, whichever you prefer.
- Business category — GoPayment needs to know whether your business is a sole proprietorship, LLC, corporation, or other type of company.
- Type of business — You will be prompted to choose from a drop-down menu, which includes retail, professional services, and additional business types (including “other”).
- A social security number (and perhaps a tax ID number) — The last four digits of your social security number should be entered for verification purposes. If your business has a federal tax ID number, you’ll need to enter that as well.
- Mobile phone number — This is how GoPayment will contact you if a representative needs to speak with you directly.
- Card reader — This will be sent to you within seven days of account signup (see #6). But you may begin processing credit card payments manually right after you finish the signup process.
That’s all! No contracts to sign. No expensive equipment to rent or install. No cumbersome cables or connectors required. Setting up a merchant account with GoPayment takes only about as long as … well, reading this post.