With GoPayment’s easy-to-use card reader, anyone can process credit card payments on a mobile device with a simple swipe. But sometimes this process doesn’t work as smoothly as it could, especially if you’re using the card reader for the first time.
Here are the 10 most common problems with the GoPayment card reader and how to fix them:
1. No volume — The card reader transmits data to the GoPayment app via an audio signal. Turn the volume on your phone all the way up.
2. Reader isn’t set up in GoPayment app — Before you can begin using the card reader to process credit card transactions, you must set it up properly in the GoPayment app. To do so, follow these step-by-step instructions.
3. Incompatible device — GoPayment is compatible with many — but not all — smartphones and tablets. Check this list to make sure your device works with GoPayment.
4. Not connected properly — The card reader must be completely inserted into the audio jack of your digital device (you should hear a click). Check to make sure your smartphone case or tablet sleeve isn’t preventing this from happening. Then, remove and re-insert the card reader.
5. Memory (caching) issues — You may need to clear your device’s browser history, cache, and cookies. To do so on an iPad or an iPhone, go to Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies, History, and Data. Here’s how to do it on Android devices.
6. Speakerphone is on — The speakerphone on your smartphone must be disabled before a card reader can process a credit card transaction.
7. Two or more apps running simultaneously — You cannot run another application on your device while processing a transaction with the card reader. That means you can’t make calls, surf the web, or check inventory during this time. Keep the GoPayment app active during the entirety of the card being processed.
8. App isn’t updated — GoPayment issues periodic updates for its software. To find these updates, check for updates as you would any other app on your device, or visit the Google Play Store for Android phones or the Apple App Store for iPads and iPhones.
9. Not waiting for the Swipe Card screen — If you try to swipe a credit card through the reader before you see this message, the transaction will not go through. The solution? Start over and wait for the screen to prompt you.
10. Device stuck on Please Wait screen — If the app freezes at this point, go to your device’s Settings app and disable the card reader, then turn off the device. Next, turn the device back on and re-enable the card reader.
If it turns out that your card reader is defective, GoPayment will replace it for you. Call 1-800-558-9558 for the customer care center, and a representative will help you resolve the issue.