Making the road your second home — and office — can prove a challenge, but those who’ve ventured out before you can help simplify the journey. Whether you’re wondering how to maintain high-speed internet while your RV is in transit or wondering what to do if you need a bathroom break while driving your food truck, these five bloggers offer advice, insight, and resources that will help make your mobile business (and life) easier.
- The Suitcase Entrepreneur. This blog features tips, advice, and case studies for building a business that’s portable enough to carry around in a suitcase. Although blogger Natalie Sisson primarily focuses on “location independent” enterprises that are virtual in nature, she also writes material that’s useful to any mobile entrepreneur, such as a traveler’s healthy eating guide and business travel tips.
- Behind the Scenes with an L.A. Food Trucker. Last year, Serious Eats, a blog dedicated to culinary tips, recipes, and restaurant reviews, rolled out a series of blog posts by Marvin Gapultos, co-owner of Manila Machine, a Los Angeles-based food truck. In his posts, Gapultos shares his industry insights and know-how, such as how to pick a great parking spot without incurring the wrath of other vendors and tips for making Filipino cuisine with mobile cooking equipment.
- About.com’s Mobile Office Technology. Run by Melanie Pinola, a telecommuting IT administrator and self-proclaimed “gadget geek,” this blog delivers regular updates on new products that help people who work from home and the road. Pinola also offers tips for setting up a wireless internet connection on the road; her post on hotels with free Wi-Fi access is a particularly helpful guide.
- Road Warrior Tips. Sponsored by Extended Stay Hotels, the blog serves up tips, tricks, and resources that will help frequent travelers feel at home on the road. Topics include flying, food, gear, games, and tech. The site also provides a comprehensive guide to staying comfortable and maintaining a budget while living a nomadic lifestyle. Don’t miss its roundup of great sites and apps for road trip eats.
- BoardingArea. BoardingArea aggregates more than 20 separate blogs focused on business travel. Featured bloggers tell business travel war stories, share strategies for scoring great deals on trips, and explain how to use frequent flier miles and hotel loyalty programs. For example, Gary Leff’s View from the Wing reviews of airline club lounges and maximizing your frequent flier miles.